For some time I’ve toyed with the idea of a series. I’ve looked at several ideas. Action series. Detective series. Vampire series.
Now, those of you who know me know that I have a major issue with most series, in that they tend to become formulaic (or worse, written solely to continue the series without ever telling a story of their own.) For these reasons, I’ve resisted the concept of writing a series.
I’ve given myself every excuse. Not the right character, not the right concept, not the right story. But, all those have gone away with my latest work in progress..
Book one is finished and polished, and book two is in the rewrite stage. I have plans for three and maybe four, but we’ll see where it goes after three.
So those of you who’ve asked about a series from me, it’s coming. But there are some warnings attached.
- This is NOT a “romantic adventure” series. There will be plenty of both, but none of the books will exist solely for the purpose of either. If you’re looking for those, you’ll be disappointed.
- Yes, there will be vampires. No they will not “sparkle” or be all touchy-feely. The monsters may be the main characters, but they are still monsters.
- Yes, there will be werewolves. No, there will be no ridiculous love triangles centered around someone with no personality or self-esteem.
- I offer absolutely no promise that this will go beyond three books. The moment the story needs an excuse to continue, it’s over. To be honest, book two only exists because my wife liked the characters in book one. Three will come about simply because I’m curious to see what happens.
- I don’t shy away from sex or fight scenes, but I don’t use them to fill pages. I know some of you read series looking for both. If it fits the story, it’ll be there. If it doesn’t, it won’t.
- I have no intention of letting this take over my entire life. If other stories want to be written in between these, they will be written.
- And last, I can’t promise a happily-ever-after for anyone. When and if the series ends, all bets are off and no one is safe.
So there it is. Book one will be out later this year. Book Two probably early next year, and book three when I get it written. Beyond that, we’ll see how it goes.